January 26, 2012

a trip to the ENT

the morning started off early. the kiddo was up at 4:30. in the morning. jeremy put him back to bed while i contemplated going ahead and getting up for the day. and so i did. at 4:55. i did my best to make things seem normal, but on the inside, i had huge knots growing in my belly.


we left the house around 5:40, dropped sawyer off at school and realized that we'd be early to the doctor's office. since the sun wasn't even up yet, we drove past the doctors's office to the top of a hill and waited for the sun to rise. around 6:30, we made our way to our appointment.


the lobby was full of other kiddos having various surgeries done. thankfully there were two TVs to help keep the kiddos distracted. mickey mouse clubhouse? you bet. cayden was in TV heaven for sure. we heard our name called and walked back. then realized they'd called out hayden, not cayden. so back to the lobby we went.


they eventually did call our name and we went back to have cayden's vitals taken. they weigh the kiddos in kilograms there. he was approximately 11.9 kilos. weird. but all looked well so they took us back to cayden's recovery room.


they had toys EVERYWHERE. tons of cozy coupes and other ride-on-car type things. it really was great having all those distractions. they even had a "playroom" with movies showing. cayden picked a car and rode around for a while. then he found the movie room. and well, cayden loves the movies.

a nurse came back to get him and told us to follow her. so we did. then we got to the big, closed double-doors. she looked back at us, said, "this is as far as you're allowed to go," took cayden from jeremy and disappeared. i looked at jeremy and said, "i'm not alright." he looked at me, "that's ok."


we walked back to the recovery room to wait on our sweet boy. he was back before we really got a chance to miss him! maybe 10 minutes? poor thing. so, so groggy. but we were relieved that he wasn't crying. and actually never cried once. and the whines were most definitely kept to a minimum.


the nurse brought him a sprite. i bet it was the best thing he'd ever had. it was gone in a matter of minutes. we went over a few more pieces of paperwork and were told we could go. it wasn't even 9.


cayden took a monster nap – three hours! when he woke up, he was ready to conquer the world! while he was finishing some lunch, the refrigerator made a weird sound. cayden looked over at jeremy and said, "did you hear that?" jeremy and i just looked at each other. apparently it was a sound he'd never heard before. which can only mean that the tubes were already helping his hearing to recover!


before we left the doctor's office, they told us to keep him calm for the day. and we did. for a little while. after that monster nap and a very hearty lunch, little man was ready to go.


those are stickers all over his face. when you ask him where he wants a sticker, i'd say there's a 50/50 chance he's going to ask for it to be placed on his face. tell me that's normal? also, this dog goes with him pretty much everywhere. i'm not entirely sure when the attachment began, but it's entirely too cute.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...